[Eeglablist] Notch filter and minimum #channel for ICA

arno arno at salk.edu
Thu Nov 16 14:39:17 PST 2006

arno wrote:
> Dear Masaki,
>
> Masaki Nishida wrote:
>> 1. I have tried to notch filter to eliminate 60Hz line noise,
>> however, the amplitude has remarkably decreased
>> and the notch noise was unsuccessfully removed in the afterward
>> specttopo().
>> I am afraid that it could be a kind of bugs of band filter but we are
>> not sure.
>>
> We have had problem reported with the notch filter before. The
> non-linear IIR filter works really well though and I would advise you
> to use it instead.
I have detected a problem for FIR filtering indeed. It was not passing
the parameters in the correct manner to the filtering functions for
Notch filtering (it was passing them correctly for other type of
filtering). Please use the attached function that will solve the
problem. A new checkbox for FFT linear filter (which is sharper) has
also been implemented. FFT filtering is used by default if the signal
processing toolbox is absent (now you may use this filter even if you
have the signal processing toolbox).