[Eeglablist] ERP statistics and scalp maps of difference waves

arno arno at salk.edu
Thu Dec 7 16:31:03 PST 2006

Dear Dorte,

we fixed this problem recently. It was due to the eeglab2fieldtrip
function. Just replace it in the Fieldtrip folder.

Dörte Spring wrote:
> Dear Stefan and EEGLABler,
>
> thanks so much for the immediate and detailed answer as well as the
> attached mapping code.
>
> Nevertheless, I have detected another problem doing the dipols on raw
> ERPs. As I tried to follow the EEGLAB manual instructions I noticed that
> ICA weights are still necessary, at least to determine the spherical
> model for dipfit. Is that correct?
> However, then I tried to use ICAs for this model specification.
> Unfortunately, it did not work. EEGLAB (5.03; in Matlab 7.0.4.352 (R14)
> Service Pack 2) gave an error (see attached pdf - first page) in the
> second step "Coarse fit". Thus, I dared bravely to run the script for
> ERP dipoles described in the manual. Thereby, I realized that some of
> the needed functions like  "dipfit_erpeeg.m" were missing. I put a
> screen shot of all my plugins/dipfit2.0 and all function files in the
> attached pdf as well (second page). Or could I find this missing file
> maybe elsewhere? At first I thought my eeglab version is not properly
> installed, but nothing changed with a new download and installation.
>

> I really appreciate any tips.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Doerte
>

> Stefan Debener wrote:
>> Dear Doerte,
>>
>> yes, it's all possible with EEGLAB, but requires some scripting
>> skills. So, the easiest way to do ERP statistics may be to export
>> your ERP data to SPSS or SAS and define time windows, peak latencies
>> etc. there. To do this, go to 'File' > 'Export' > 'Export data and
>> ICA activity to text file', and tick the box 'Export ERP average
>> instead of single trials'. This is also the easiest way to export
>> your ERP data into other software such as BESA. Also, check out the
>> EEGLAB plug-ins (e.g. those from Andreas Widmann), some have been
>> designed specifically to ease ERP analysis and may come with a nice gui.
>>
>> Regarding the maps, I have attached a little piece of code below.
>> This code assumes that you have loaded two datasets into EEGLAB
>> (dataset 1=condition 1, dataset 2=condition 2), that these two
>> conditions have the same number of frames per epoch (and same epoch
>> start-stop time) and that you want to plot maps for a mean interval
>> (t1 to t2) maps. It plots the map for each condition (average across
>> interval), and the resulting difference map. Look up the help message
>> of topoplot.m for more options on how to plot nice maps. Also, be
>> careful with the interpretation of difference maps. We always plot
>> the difference map together with the single condition maps.
>> Difference maps can be quite misleading, in particular if the two
>> maps you are subtracting are different in 'shape', and not only in
>> 'strength' (amplitude).
>>
>> If you want to do a dipole source analysis of ERPs or ERP difference
>> maps instead of ICA weights, you can do this with EEGLAB/DIPFIT as
>> well. Again, it requires some scripting, and is described in detail
> [...]

*Arnaud Delorme, Ph.D.*
Swartz Center for Computational Neuroscience, INC, University of San
Diego California
La Jolla, CA92093-0961, USA

*Tel* :/(+1)-858-458-1927 ext 15/
*Fax* :/(+1)-858-458-1847/