[Eeglablist] ERP statistics and scalp maps of difference waves

Darren Weber dweber at radmail.ucsf.edu
Thu Dec 7 17:50:27 PST 2006

Hi Dorte,

this is mainly why I put together some matlab tools into
http://eeg.sf.net/.  Get the bioelectromagnetism module from cvs.

I was working on ERPs and elementary peak component analysis.  In
particular, take a look at any scripts called eeg_region_*.m because I
used these to automate the peak picking and output data ready for stats
analysis.  I found matlab was not sufficient for stats analysis.  I was
using spss and I am now using R.  Anyhow, you will get some ideas from
my scripts, eg:

eeg_diff_script.m
eeg_region_dif_peaks_script.m
eeg_region_peaks_script.m
eeg_anova_script.m

Also, I wanted some custom tools to plot topographic maps and animations
of ERP activity.  I programmed these tools so it was possible to get
output graphics with high resolution.  I had access to MRI and extracted
realistic surfaces.  I implemented some surface interpolation functions
for realistic geometry (based on published papers and with some help
from Robert Oostenveld).  Get some ideas from:

eeg_interp_scalp_script.m

Please email me if you have any questions or problems using the
eeg.sf.net matlab tools.  Good luck.

Best, Darren

Dörte Spring wrote:
> Dear EEGLABler,
>
> I'm right now at the point in data analysis where I'd like to do some
> statistical analyis as well. My interests lies on ERP and their
> components rather than ICA components. Thus, I was wondering whether
> there are included some tools for this in EEGLAB that I could use. Im
> interested in things like differences in peak amplitude, or peak
> latencies for specified ERP components in a certain time window (by
> ANOVA for example).
>
> I also would like to support significant results of this analysis by
> scalp maps of the analyzed component's difference wave. Is there a way
> in EEGLAB, too, to do that? So far I only have seen the option to topo
> plot a component of a single condition, but not the difference potential
> between two conditions.
>
> Because all good things come in three, I have another question: Can one
> also determine dipoles in EEGLAB withouth ICAs by just using the
> difference wave potential in a specific time frame?
>
> Any suggestions are welcome.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Doerte

- --

Darren L. Weber, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Scholar

Dynamic Neuroimaging Laboratory,
UCSF Department of Radiology,
185 Berry Street, Suite 350, Box 0946,
San Francisco, CA 94107, USA.

Tel: +1 415 353-9444
Fax: +1 415 353-9421
www: http://dnl.ucsf.edu/users/dweber

"To explicate the uses of the brain seems as difficult
a task as to paint the soul, of which it is commonly
said, that it understands all things but itself."
  Thomas Willis (The Anatomy of the Brain and Nerves, 1664)