[Eeglablist] electrode location coordinates

Darren Weber dweber at radmail.ucsf.edu
Wed Dec 20 15:31:05 PST 2006

I have a matlab function called elec_sph2cart.  This is the help:

  elec_sph2cart - convert spherical to Cartesian coordinates

  Convert from spherical (theta,phi,r) to Cartesian rectangular (x,y,z)
  coordinates.

  Useage: [X,Y,Z] = elec_sph2cart(theta,phi,r,[degrees])

            theta is counterclockwise rotation from +x in x-y plane
(azimuth),
            phi is elevation with respect to z-axis (eg, Cz in 10-20
system),
            r is radius,
            degrees: 0=radians (default) or 1=degrees for theta & phi

  Result:   (X,Y,Z) are double floating point

  Note:     Conversion from spherical to Cartesian coordinates, given
            angles in radians, is:

            x = r .* sin(phi) .* cos(theta);
            y = r .* sin(phi) .* sin(theta);
            z = r .* cos(phi);

            +ve x-axis from origin through T4 (right ear)
            +ve y-axis from origin through Nasion (at theta = +90degrees)

            Results from this routine are not the same as those from
            the inbuilt sph2cart matlab function. Phi here is
            elevation with respect to z-axis.  The matlab function
            sph2cart uses elevation with respect to xy plane.

Maybe that will help.

Best, Darren

Maro Machizawa wrote:
> Dear Johannes,
>
> Thank you very much for your reply and the file, but I'm afraid M10 and
> M11 have different
> arrangements; M10 is more like 10/20 system but M11 is equidistant
> system. I've got easycap's
> theta/phi coordinates for M11; however, I am not quite sure how to
> implement those values into
> EEGLAB.
> I attached their M10 theta/phi coordinates file. Can anyone help me to
> create a location file out of
> this?
>
> Best regards,
> Maro
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sarnthein Johannes"
> <Johannes.Sarnthein at usz.ch>

- --

Darren L. Weber, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Scholar

Dynamic Neuroimaging Laboratory,
UCSF Department of Radiology,
185 Berry Street, Suite 350, Box 0946,
San Francisco, CA 94107, USA.

Tel: +1 415 353-9444
Fax: +1 415 353-9421
www: http://dnl.ucsf.edu/users/dweber

"To explicate the uses of the brain seems as difficult
a task as to paint the soul, of which it is commonly
said, that it understands all things but itself."
  Thomas Willis (The Anatomy of the Brain and Nerves, 1664)