[Eeglablist] Memory Issues: Importing Neuroscan .cnt files

Zachary Moran zdmoran at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 15:22:38 PST 2008

Hi all,

I'm part of a group at UCLA trying to implement EEGLAB to analyze rather
large, Neuroscan .cnt files collected with Scan 4.3.  The files are 16-bit
sampled at 1000 Hz, with an average size of about 400 MB.  I'm using a
Dell/2.4GHz Intel with 1GB RAM running Windows XP Professional and Matlab
R2007a.  However, in trying to import continuous files into EEGLAB, I get
the following error:

EEGLAB error in function loadcnt() at line 381:

Error using ==> fread

Out of memory.  Type HELP MEMORY for your options.

I've tried the usual memory saving options listed under "help memory" to no
avail.  I'm already running at 1GB of RAM, but does anyone know whether the
addition of more RAM would solve this problem or if there are alternate
solutions that have been found?

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Zach Moran

Graduate Student

UCLA Lab for Clinical Affective Psychophysiology