[Eeglablist] EGI data re-reference (reref)

Jeff Eriksen jefferiksen at comcast.net
Thu Feb 7 20:59:40 PST 2008

Darren,

I recommend reading this paper:

Junghöfer M, Elbert T, Tucker DM & Braun C. (1999) The polar average
reference effect: a bias in estimating the head surface integral in EEG
recording.  Clinical Neurophysiology 110(6): 1149-1155

Basically, the best “practical” reference would cover the whole body evenly,
or at least the whole head evenly, in order to approach the
“reference-at-infinity” used in physics. The more channels, the better. The
only reason to exclude any channel is if it is known to have noise on it.

The only subtle catch is that one should include the original reference
electrode in the calculation, if its location is known. It just gives one a
little extra information.

-Jeff Eriksen