[Eeglablist] Time-frequency analysis (subtraction first or analysis first)

Stanley Klein dualitystan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 13:41:29 PDT 2008

It looks like there is some consensus on whether to subtract first and then
the TF or vice versa. That's nice. [On the other hand subtracting first is a
nice way to get rid of ERP, but there are better ways, as described next.]

Andrei, I'm not sure I understood your last comment or question, but I have
a related question. Whenever one does time-frequency power plots I would
think that one should ALWAYS first get the time locked average and subtract
it off  of all the individual trials. Then one could do a TF plot of each.
How many on this list do that?  I suspect that people mix together the
standard evoked response and also the phase varying response. Why do that
since its so easy to show the the two TF plots separately.

Also I've heard rumors that saccades and microsaccades are responsible for
most EEG gamma oscillations. So one should also put those events into a
separate category too. Too bad things are complicated. But it makes life
interesting.
Stan