[Eeglablist] Time-frequency analysis (subtraction first or analysis first)

Thomas Ferree tom.ferree at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 12:58:42 PDT 2008

Speaking for myself, we do not subtract off the ERP, so we must acknowledge
that our TF results have both 'evoked' and 'induced' activity.The ITC
measure in EEGLAB can help with interpretation, by showing the
degree of phase similarity across trials at each frequency and time.

Isolating the induced activity by subtracting the ERP first is a worthwhile
goal, but it is technically complicated due to inter-trial variability of
the ERP.
Some work has been done on this topic.  Truccolo et al (2002), for example.

--
Thomas Ferree, PhD
Department of Radiology
Email: tom.ferree at gmail.com