[Eeglablist] Time-frequency analysis (subtraction first or analysis first)

Brian Roach brian.roach at yale.edu
Wed Apr 16 14:22:32 PDT 2008

There is an article by Truccolo et al in Clinical Neurophysiology
(Trial-to-trial variability of cortical evoked responses: implications
for the analysis of functional connectivity) which examines such a
subtraction of the evoked response.  I believe the idea is that your
averaged ERP does not exactly represent all potential evoked activity in
a given trial.  Therefore some residual evoked activity will survive a
"single trial minus ERP" routine.  ERSP data contains both evoked and
induced power, which are tough to separate without making some
assumptions about the data.  I don't think that you can subtract the ERP
from every single trial, subject it to TF analysis, and say that the
resulting ERSP map shows phase varying (or induced) responses /only/.
To do that, you would have to assume that the ERP subtraction accounted
for exactly all of the evoked power activity in every single trial.

I was interested in your last comment Stan - do you have any references
about saccades and gamma?

thanks,
Brian