[Eeglablist] Time-frequency analysis (subtraction first or analysis first)

Stanley Klein sklein at berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 16 18:51:45 PDT 2008

Dear EEGlist, First I'd like to comment on how it is cute that this
discussion has shifted from the original point of the subject heading, but
the same subject heading is relevant to the issue of whether to first
subtract off the ERP before doing the time-frequency analysis.
Stan

Dear Brian,
On the gamma/microsaccade connection. There was a poster at the Cognitive
Neuroscience meeting a few days ago by Shlomit Yuval-Greenberg titled
Reassessment of the origins of Induced Gamma Band Responses – A single trial
analysis. I didn't see the poster but I heard that that their results do not
apply to ECoG or  LFP, only to EEG. It will be interesting to see discussion
of this interesting topic when their paper gets published.

On the topic of 'evoked' vs 'induced' responses. I'd like to suggest that
when one has a really interesting result, say about gamma, it would be
useful to the reader to show the data in more than one way. The following
are some possibilities:

1) Show the old fashioned ERP(t) averaged across trials and subjects.
2) Show the TF plot of the ERP.
3) Show the TF plot of the combined 'evoked' and 'induced' as most folks on
this list suggest
4) Show the TF plot after subtracting off the ERP. This has the advantage of
possibly emphasizing feedback pathways where the cognitive based time delays
can be more variable than the bottom up stream. (Does this make any sense?).

One reason to show ERP(t) is that the filter that is used typically has a
very broad bandwidth so one sees something close to the true time course of
the response. When one sees (as one often does) some very sharp features in
the temporal response one gets excited. The problem with the TF plot is that
one typically uses a wavelet filter with more than one cycle so one distorts
(adds wiggles to) sharp temporal responses (like a microsaccade?).

The big advantage of methods 3 and 4 are that they capture the
non-stationary aspects of the response. It makes a lot more sense to average
TF plots across subjects than to average ERPs across subjects because
individual differences in the cortical folding can easily produce
differences in the scalp potentials. However the folding makes any type of
scalp based averaging (including TF plots) across subjects less than ideal.
That's why people try to get to source space.
Stan