[Eeglablist] newtimef with large frequency windows

Zachary Moran zdmoran at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 06:53:19 PDT 2008

Hi Brad,

Thanks much for the response!  It will be helpful to know the exact window
size required for a successful decomposition.

As for why I'm using time-freq decompositions rather than a band pass
filter, it's because I'm interested in exploring the degree to which many
different frequency bins contribute to event-related waveforms rather than
just paring down the broadband signal.  As far as I'm aware, I don't think I
could do this through filtering, though if you know of a method I'd greatly
appreciate any help or references.  Also, I think wavelet transforms differ
from filters in terms of frequency resolution, roll-off/leakage especially
in the lower frequencies.

My big problem has been that the ERSP array that I get seems to be stuck
from 358.0 to 442.0 ms whereas I want to select elements of the array
corresponding to early, evoked potentials.  I think the decomposition will
enforce that this window be 84 ms long given the other dataset parameters,
but does anyone know if there is some way to recenter the window for a
different 84ms (e.g., 66 to 150)?

Thank you!!

Zach