[Eeglablist] Regarding : reference choice, baseline removal and ICA

Abigail Mani amani at uh.edu
Wed Oct 22 12:15:37 PDT 2008

Hi All

I need to analyze data recorded using *BIOSEMI (reference free)*, and I have
a few questions :
I read the eeglab tutorial page about referencing, but I still have a few
questions

1.  I record two earlobe channels and two eog channels.
Which is the best reference I can choose during data import : One earlobe or
two?
How does the calculation differ between the two?
If I choose average reference, how is the calculation done when there is no
former reference?

- If the reference channel has drifts during some period of the recording,
how will it affect the data?

- Do I need to reference the data before epoching or can I do so after?

2. How is baseline removal done?
 - Is the average of the baseline period of each epoch subtracted from every
sample in the activity period of that epoch?

3. How does re-referencing before and after  baseline removal differ?

4. Can I include the EOG channels and earlobe channels during ICA for
artifact removal, where I reject components by visual inspection?

Would be great to have all my queries answered.
--
Regards
M Abigail