[Eeglablist] automatic epoch rejection

Bradley Voytek btvoytek at berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 23 10:12:16 PDT 2008

Brion:

I've played around with a few different methods to get this working.

The simplest is to use EEGLAB's artifact rejection GUI, which allows
you to explicitly specify electrodes to use when looking for
artifacts.

What I find to be the most accurate for my purposes (removing trials
with eye movements and blinks, rather than using ICA to remove the
components), is to create surrogate artifact channels--one for blinks
and one for saccades--and run a thresholding algorithm across these
channels. I create a surrogate blink channel by multiplying my
inferior and superior ocular channels. Because these channels are
highly anticorrelated during blinks, this gives me a *huge* negative
deflection at the time of the blink (well above noise levels), which
is easy for an automated algorithm to extract. I do the same for
saccades using my two lateral ocular channels. You can also do an
effective automated removal of muscle artifacts by creating a
surrogate channel that is the sum of the power in high(er) frequency
bands (>20 Hz) across a subset of frontal and central electrodes.

::bradley voytek