[Eeglablist] Unequal group size and STUDY use

arno delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Sun Nov 30 19:40:56 PST 2008

Dear Michael and Hamish,

thanks for reporting the problem. This issue arises due to the
complexity of the scheme implemented to handle scalp map plotting in
the case of subject with different number of channels. This scheme was
currently enforcing to have groups of the same size. To fix this
problem, I have decided to enforce interpolation so that all subject
will need to have the same number of channels (or at least subset of
channels when plotting scalp maps). Scalp maps where the different
channels average different numbers of subjects do not make much sense
anyway. There has also been at least two people reporting plotting
problems after interpolating data, although I have not yet myself been
able to reproduce the problem. I hope the current fix will solve this
problem too.

I have reprogrammed the attached std_erpplot.m function so that it can
handle groups of different sizes (although be sure to interpolate
missing channels). Please let me know if this fixes your problems
(just replace this function in the eeglabxxx/functions/studyfunc/
folder) and it will be integrated in the EEGLAB monthly release. This
message was forwarded to the list because it is of global interest and
also because it depicts a problem that is a major current limitation
for most users. In general though, please use the Bugzilla database
for reporting problems.

ps: For interpolation, there is currently a non-documented bug: if you
interpolate channels when pre-computing ERPs and then go back to the
pre-compute GUI to compute ERSP without interpolation, the function
will crash. This is because all measure have to be consistent in terms
of interpolation. As described above, the future function will enforce
interpolation (which is relatively fast). In case the function crashed
for you, erase all measure data files (*.daterp, *.datersp, *.datspec,
*.datitc), and type on the command line STUDY.changrp = []; then call
back the pre-computing interface.