[Eeglablist] FIR filter and IIR and leaks

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Sun Apr 3 03:47:14 PDT 2011

Dear Baris,

yes, it is possible that filtering would make your ERP significant even before the onset of the stimulus. It all depends on your filter and the data you are applying it to. The default filters in EEGLAB are non causal. A non-causal filter (FIR, IIR or other) is applied in the forward direction and then in the reserve direction using the filtfilt Matlab function. When the filter is applied in the reverse direction, it could smear the ERP data into the baseline, especially if you high pass filter at low frequencies as you did since then the filter order (number of samples) would be large. It is also possible to use causal filters from the command line (see help iirfilt). Using a causal filter means that you only apply the filter in the forward direction and so smearing of the ERP into the baseline cannot occur. The advantage of using bidirectional non causal filters is that they do not discord the phase of the signal at different frequencies while causal filter do.

Regarding your second question: yet it is better to filter continuous data than to filter data epochs. This is because filtering introduces artifacts at the beginning of each filtered data segment (at the beginning and the end of the continuous data or at the beginning and the end of each epoch).

Best regards,

Arno