[Eeglablist] RegIca AR and SCRLS algorithm

Mahesh Casiraghi mahesh.casiraghi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 07:51:21 PDT 2011

Hi Klados,

yep, the problem is running regression on components. It seems to me that
for some reasons it tends to be generally more unstable than performing same
algorithms on the source signal (chans x samps). Could be for the presumably
bigger variance in magnitudes that we have between comonent and comoponent
with respect to the one between chans and chans?

And when one forces stability [SCRLS] on about 45 minutes [reshaped signal
of interest from 3D (chans x samps x trials), 2d (chans x [samps,trials])]
 of 512Hz 69 chans EEG, using SCRLS_regression.m, it is practically
impossible to keep numerical precision at 50 bits.

I had to go down to 30-34 bits (currently trying to do that at 30, which is
sensibly faster than 32 and 34), and I was wondering how this trade off in
numerical precision will in effect affect the quality of the regression, and
if and how playing with sigma and labmda may produce better results.

Thank you for your skype contact, I am going to run some more tests and I
will contact you with more impressions.

Mahesh

ps> Of course I was meaning Klados, I think I got confused by some previous
messages.

Mahesh M. Casiraghi
PhD candidate - Cognitive Sciences
Roberto Dell'Acqua Lab, University of Padova
Pierre Jolicoeur Lab, Univesité de Montréal
mahesh.casiraghi at umontreal.ca

I have the conviction that when Physiology will be far enough advanced, the
poet, the philosopher, and the physiologist will all understand each other.
Claude Bernard