[Eeglablist] [eeglablist] aliasing in pop_spectopo():

Michael Plöchl michael.ploechl at gmx.net
Wed Oct 5 04:10:48 PDT 2011

hi anders,

we recently encountered a similar problem. let me guess: your data is
recorded with a sampling frequency of 512 Hz and you are zero padding
them to twice the length, i.e. for example from 512 to 1024 samples.
if this is the case there is nothing wrong with your data. the reason
why the data look strange is illustrated in the attachment. the
recorded samples are depicted by black squares and the underlying
function that one would obtain by continuous fourier transformation is
shown by the gray trace. when using discrete fourier transformation
all samples except the one for the center frequency fall on the zero
line and thus are not visible when plotting the non-zero-padded data.
when you now zero pad the data to twice its length, the "artificially
added" samples will fall exactly between the original samples and thus
on the peaks of the side lobes. plotting this in matlab (i.e. directly
connecting each sample with a line) will then look like a sawtooth
pattern as it was the case in your data.
to see if this really is the reason, just change the amount of zero
padding to a non-integer multiple of the sampling frequency (e.g. from
a default of 1024 to 1000) or disable the zero padding completely and
check whether your data look better then.

i hope i could help,

michael