[Eeglablist] From EEGlab to BCIlab

Christian Kothe christiankothe at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 2 15:40:46 PDT 2011

Dear Michele,

the format that BCILAB can import is continuous data + events. If you have
a non-epoched .set file, you can directly load it into BCILAB (see the
tutorial scripts) and run BCI analyses on that.

I think what you observed there is that a function call like X =
io_loadset(...) returns a result that has no fields besides one called
"tracking". X is in fact only a proxy (aka handle) that refers to the
actual data set. So if you would like to inspect or manually edit the
familiar EEGLAB set structure for the data after import, you'd do that by
invoking X = exp_eval(X) on it, which basically resolves the handle it into
the actual data.

However, there is actually almost never a need to do 'manual' editing of
the data sets in your scripts beyond their initial curation, because all
actual BCI processing is done by dedicated filter functions (flt_*** and
set_***), among others. So that leaves only curation of the raw data (e.g.,
perhaps making sure that your chanlocs make sense) -- which is best done
via EEGLAB (ideal for tinkering with EEG data!) and then saved to disk for
later import into BCILAB.

Best,
Christian