[Eeglablist] comparing normal and clinical populations

Cyril Pernet cyril.pernet at ed.ac.uk
Tue Dec 6 01:41:47 PST 2011

Hi José,

Subject:
[Eeglablist] comparing normal and clinical populations
From:
Jose Rebola <jrebola at gmail.com>
Date:
04/12/2011 19:02

To:
eeglablist at sccn.ucsd.edu

 >Hi
 >I am running a study to investigate differences between  williams
syndrome patients and controls in a visual task. I have eight subjects
of each >population.
 >How do I compare the amplitude of the P100 between the populations?
 >Should i include only one value (the peak around 100ms on each of the
subject's average) per subject ?
 >It seems to me that if i do this i will only have one value per
subject and i am "throwing away" the 100 trials per condition that i have
 >Isn't there a way that i can compare between populations while
retaining within-subject variability?

This is indeed a very valid point, if you only compute the average and
take 1 value you do not account for within subject variance.
We have a toolbox LIMO_EEG which is fully compatible with EEGLAB and
does hierarchical linear modeling, thus accounting for within and
between subject variance - this handles pretty much any kind of design
you may have. For a simple group comparison, you model the activity in
your visual task for each subject (assuming either at least 2 conditions
or 1 condition with some covariate like luminance, contrast, phase, etc)
and then compare the parameters obtained between groups - at this stage
LIMO_EEG use robust statistics making your inference much stronger.

You can access and download the toolbox @
https://gforge.dcn.ed.ac.uk/gf/project/limo_eeg/

 > Otherwise, how does it compensate to perform 1000 trials instead of 10?

mathematically speaking it is the same (in terms of variance) but of
cource the average with 10 trials will be a poor representation of the
neural activity.

Cyril