[Eeglablist] How to save the normalized data that we see in scroll data display?

Tim Mullen mullen.tim at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 23:09:35 PST 2012

Yes, temporal z-normalization will generally change the voltage topography,
since each electrode's mean voltage (DC offset) is removed and each
electrode's voltage has been independently rescaled by a different
quantity.

Note that we are not describing *spatial* z-normalization, which, for a
given time point, is equivalent to performing a common average reference
(subtracting spatial mean from each electrode) followed by rescaling all
electrodes by the same quantity (spatial stdev). This will preserve
relative voltage between pairs of electrodes within a constant factor
(pairwise voltage difference is also rescaled by the spatial stdev) -- and,
if data is already CAR, does not affect pairwise voltage ratios.

In any case, I can't see why one would want to temporally normalize before
plotting voltage maps.

Tim

--