[Eeglablist] Question about estimating Signal to Noise Ratio

Allan Campopiano alcampopiano at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 14:20:49 PST 2014

Hello,

One way to estimate noise in the data is to use Schimmel's (1967) +/-
reference method which inverts every other trial before averaging. This
cancels out the ERP, leaving the event-unrelated activity (noise) behind.

Check out Joe Dien's EP toolkit which includes Schimmel's measure as a
quality control feature. Also, the toolkit's documentation clearly explains
the calculations that are involved.

*Allan Campopiano* | MA Candidate
Laboratory of Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience
Brock University | Psychology Department | 500 Glenridge Ave.
St. Catharines, ON Canada L2S 3A1
*T* 905-688-5550 x3451 *F *905-688-6922