[Eeglablist] Filter causality pop_eegfiltnew

Tim Mullen mullen.tim at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 11:32:59 PST 2014

Dear Vito,

Correct, SIFT can work on both continuous data or epoched multi-trial data
and uses the third dimension (epochs) to determine which is the case. If
you wish to operate on epoched single trials, you may concatenate the
trials into a 2D matrix (chs x pnts*trials) In this case, bear in mind that
if you're using a sliding window approach, you will need to discard the
results within the period corresponding to 1/2 of the window length at the
beginning and end of each trial, since the sliding window will have
overlapped two trials here. For single-trial analysis, unless the number of
variables (channels/sources) you are modeling is low, you will likely need
to use regularized VAR estimators (ridge regression or sparse VAR) or a
Kalman filter approach (est_fitMVARKalman) to achieve a reasonable model
fit.

It appears to me that your data still has some stationarity or other issues
leading to model instability. I recommend trying the following:

1) clean your data to remove trials, channels/sources, or data subspaces
with large artifacts -- especially blinks and muscle artifacts, which are
not well-modeled by a stationarity VAR process
2) downsample the data to an appropriate sampling rate (256 Hz is typical
for EEG)
3) apply local detrending in SIFT pre-processing, if drift is present
4) decrease the window length to (e.g.) 0.5 sec to produce a more locally
stationarity signal.
5) increase the model order if needed (you might check the model order
selection procedure to help determine this)

Tim

--