[Eeglablist] Filter causality pop_eegfiltnew

Vito de Feo vito.defeo at zmnh.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Jan 28 08:05:28 PST 2014

Dear Tim,

thank you very much for all your emails and advises. I answer in detail to
your following email:

Quoting Tim Mullen <mullen.tim at gmail.com>:

> Dear Vito,
>    Correct, SIFT can work on both continuous data or epoched multi-trial
> data and uses the third dimension (epochs) to determine which is the
> case. If you wish to operate on epoched single trials, you may
> concatenate the trials into a 2D matrix (chs x pnts*trials) In this
> case, bear in mind that if you're using a sliding window approach, you
> will need to discard the results within the period corresponding to 1/2
> of the window length at the beginning and end of each trial, since the
> sliding window will have overlapped two trials here.

I have a big problem with Granger Analysis (also using GCCA or BSMART)
because my data are not really easy to analyze. I record local field
potential from several brain regions of neonatal rats. I am analyzing the
casual flow from the Hippocampus (HIP) to the Prefrontal Cortex (PFC).
This flow should be unidirectional because the anatomic connections are
just in one direction. So my goal is to proof, using information flow
(Granger, Transder Entropy, etc.) that I have a direct connection (just
monosinaptic) from HIP to PFC. Obviously I have also a path from PFC to HIP
but this path is not direct and the information flow takes more time. First
of all I don't know if I can proof this kind of connectivity using Granger,
I would expect that the flow from HIP to PFC (where I have direct
connections) is higher than the flow from PFC to HIP (where I don't have
direct connections).

The signals are not easy to analyze because:

1) In this case we just measure the "spontaneous" activity that means
that we do not stimulate the animal and he is sleeping during the
recording (we use urethane anesthesia). So I don't have "naturally
epoched" data and I window the data (sliding window) also to improve the
stationarity. I have a window of 500ms and I use two approaches:
a) I consider each window as my entire trace and I calculate a MVAR model
for each window
b) I divide each window in 10 subwindows of 50ms and I consider each
subwindow as an epoche (as a realizzation of the same random process)
This is why asked about
I found impossible to have one model for the entire recording (my recording
lasts 40 min). The best compromise beetween consistence and stability
(using Anil Seth toolbox) is to consider a maximum lenght of the trace of
500ms. With SIFT I consider the entire recording and this is probably why I
don't have stability and consistence. As I have understood fine SIFT create
one model for the entire trace (of 45 min) as is normal to do (but not in
my case I think).

2) In the neonatal rats the activity is highly discontinuous and I
have bursts of activity interleaved by noise (the noise level is my
baseline and I have 5-6 bursts per minute of 0.5-8 sec each). In this way
the signal is very far to be stationary, also because the activity (the
bursts of activity) is very not stationary.

In this situation it is very difficult to have stationarity,
linearity, good model consistence, white residuals, etc... In addition
also when the criteria are satisfied (in few parts of the signal trace) I
cannot find high flow density. Also Steven Bressler that was here in
December and gave a look to my data told me that the problem is difficult.
Probably a linear Granger approach is not correct for this data.

Anyway I developed this method that gives some results. The method is based
on calculating a different model for each window during the sliding and on
the time shifting of the time series, as I wrote before.

You wrote: "For single-trial analysis, unless the number of variables
(channels/sources) you are modeling is low, you will likely need to use
regularized VAR estimators (ridge regression or sparse VAR) or a Kalman
filter approach (est_fitMVARKalman) to achieve a reasonable model fit."

I have just 2 channels (HIP and PFC). I can also have a third region that I
guess could be an intermidiate region for the flow from PFC to HIP (the
flow from HIP to PFC should be direct as I worte before).
Sorry, Tim, I don't know these methods: "ridge regression or sparse VAR) or
a Kalman filter approach (est_fitMVARKalman)". Where can I find some
explanation about these methods?
I just tried to differenciate but I don't have better results.

You wrote:
It appears to me that your data still has some stationarity or other issues
leading to model instability. I recommend trying the following:

1) clean your data to remove trials, channels/sources, or data subspaces
with large artifacts -- especially blinks and muscle artifacts, which are
not well-modeled by a stationarity VAR process
2) downsample the data to an appropriate sampling rate (256 Hz is typical
for EEG)
3) apply local detrending in SIFT pre-processing, if drift is present
4) decrease the window length to (e.g.) 0.5 sec to produce a more locally
stationarity signal.
5) increase the model order if needed (you might check the model order
selection procedure to help determine this)

I don't have artifacts (this is one of the few good things!) but the signal
often seem to contain artifacts because the local field potential activity
has often very big peaks (this a big difference beetween local field
potential and EEG or fMRI).
If I downsample to 800 Hz, if I downsample more the consistence is very low
and also the stationarity is worse.
I apply everytime detrending and the model order changes window by window
but the average is around 10.

If you have any suggestion I would appreciate a lot!

Vito