[Eeglablist] reduce alpha distortions in event-related potentials

Bastien Boutonnet bastien.b1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 09:27:57 PST 2014

Dear all

(Thanks for the previous help regarding my STUDY statistics questions, esp Makoto & Arno –I have been busy with other things but will try your suggestions and see if I can move forward with that in a few weeks. Just thought I’d say thanks anyway)

Someone in my lab finished collecting data destined to be analysed through classical ERP averaging. We looked at the data this morning (grand averages from 16+ participants) and it looks like the datasets are suffering from serious alpha contamination. Strong alpha contaminations are present in pretty much all participants.

Is there any known way and possibly implemented way to remove the source of the alpha signals which are distorting the data? I thought of ICA immediately but a paper by Vanderperren (ftp://ftp.esat.kuleuven.be/sista/kvanderp/reports/MBEC_655.pdf) seems to claim ICA not to be very good for that and advocates a Parallel Factor Analysis. Has anything like that been implemented?

If ICA was to be used have you got any suggestions as to how to go about it (I.e. how to identify good candidates once ICA decomp is done)

Cheers,
Bastien

--
Bastien Boutonnet, Ph.D.