[Eeglablist] (Too) long of an explanation and questions at the end

Sharon Jalene sharonjalene at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 15:20:54 PST 2014

I am proposing a project in Motor Control for my thesis.  My school does
not have an EEG presence.   I earned $$ to buy an EMOTIV research edition,
extra electrodes, MATLAB and other software, and a dedicated laptop.   I
took a MATLAB course, attended the recent EEGLab workshop, and continue to
work through the tutorial and material from the workshop.  I truly want to
learn this technology and do more research in Motor Control.  What I have
to start with is the EMOTIV and EEGLab.  There are 2 Biomechanists on my
committee who are looking at this with interest for future projects - and
better equipment.

  I will be doing 60-second data collection periods in a Control and 2
different FOCUS Conditions during an unstable balance task.  Additionally,
I will be looking at the RMSE of postural sway between conditions.  I also
intend to play recorded focus instruction at 15 sec intervals to control
for mind wandering and to have a place to sync/mark the data for future ERP
and ERSP analyses.  This far, I have been processing it as continuous data.
It has been my intention compare 8-12Hz and 12-25Hz readings from the left
and right electrode arrays, the L & R  frontal array, and the L & R - TPO
arrays.

I have waited to post until I could ask reasonable questions.  First, I do
understand that looking at components instead of electrodes is much
preferred, but to start, I have opted to look at channels to keep it simple.
I am in the unusual position of using tech/software that no one here is
familiar with, and I am learning it as fast as I can...  Whatever I do, I
have to be able to explain it clearly- rather teach it.  I am running into
roadblocks, but it forces me to learn.

*1.    **Should I epoch the data before statistical analyses even though I
am looking at the differences between the Grand Average - within subjects?*

*2.    *I am HP filtering at 1Hz and using Cleanline, automatic artifact
rejection, visual artifact rejection.  I have played with ICA component
rejection, but am not sure I have enough good data to do so. (I recorded
pilot data on one subject - I have 3 minutes of data for each condition and
14 electrodes).   *Is there an optimal filtering method since I am using
the EMOTIV?*

*a.     *One of my committee said I should NOT filter the data or remove
artifacts since I am just looking for the Grand Average of certain freq
bands.  Although I see his logic, I believe I should still remove spurious
data so that the mean is not skewed by muscle and other artifacts... right?

*3.    *I was able to create a STUDY.  I saved separate data sets with the
electrodes of interest. I was able to run power spectrum channel stats as a
3 (conditions) X 2(Left and Right) ANOVA.  I saw the t-tests between
conditions and the interaction.

*a.     *Is the power spectrum giving me the average of the specified freq
range?

*b.    *If I epoch the data, can I use Bootstrapping instead of parametric
or permutation?

*c.     *How can I get the actual values, including the p values, of the
stats?  I see the option to show a table with statistics containing the
median, mean, mode, etc., but it rarely populates and is inconsistent. IS
that statcond - on?

*d.    *If I show results from a bootsrap, what statistical test was used
to obtain the results?

*e.     *Would I be better off using a ratio of Grand Average subtraction
of the control from the FOCUS conditions. or pwelch in MATLAB  -then
dropping the data into SPSS for some non parametric analysis (WIlcoxon rank
ordered)?
I am being encouraged to use as simple of methodology as possible for the
thesis project.

Sharon Jalene

www.youregettingverysleepy.com
office: 702-966-3010
mobile: 303-908-8441

*If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid
to pick one of those pieces *
*and begin again.*
*Flavia Weedn*