[Eeglablist] (Too) long of an explanation and questions at the end

Sharon Jalene sharonjalene at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 23:53:44 PST 2014

Lipstick on a pig, eh? I can't stop laughing. Hopefully I can get enough
interest with this project to get a better looking pig. Thanks for the link!

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 11:27 PM, Tom Campbell
<tom_campbell75 at hotmail.com>wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> The most serious noise issue concerns the electrodes. So the electronics
> are rather good at putting lipstick on a pig! The device has built-in
> filters, though additional offline filtering is an option.  People use this
> device for BCI without offline filtering.  It is possible to customise with
> better electrodes:
> https://github.com/SmartphoneBrainScanner/smartphonebrainscanner2-hardware/blob/master/easycap/build_instructions.md
>
> These may be of interest:
>

> Debener, S., Minow, F., Emkes, R., Gandras, K. & de Vos, M. How about
> taking a low-cost, small, and wireless eeg for a walk?. *Psychophysiology*
> *49* 1617-1621 doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8986.2012.01471.x (
> 2012)
>

> T.
>

> ------------------------------
> From: arno at salk.edu
> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 20:44:45 -0800
> To: sharonjalene at gmail.com
> CC: eeglablist at sccn.ucsd.edu
> Subject: Re: [Eeglablist] (Too) long of an explanation and questions at
> the end
>

> *1.    **Should I epoch the data before statistical analyses even though
> I am looking at the differences between the Grand Average - within
> subjects?*
>
> Yes, you need to extract data epochs to compute the grand average ERP. If
> you are computing the spectrum (based on the rest of your message), then
> epoch extraction is not necessary.
>
> *2.    *I am HP filtering at 1Hz and using Cleanline, automatic artifact
> rejection, visual artifact rejection.  I have played with ICA component
> rejection, but am not sure I have enough good data to do so. (I recorded
> pilot data on one subject - I have 3 minutes of data for each condition and
> 14 electrodes).   *Is there an optimal filtering method since I am using
> the EMOTIV?*
>
> This is a very noisy system. To extract meaningful ICA components, the
> more filtering the better.
>
> *a.     *One of my committee said I should NOT filter the data or remove
> artifacts since I am just looking for the Grand Average of certain freq
> bands.  Although I see his logic, I believe I should still remove
> spurious data so that the mean is not skewed by muscle and other artifacts...
> right?
>
> Yes, if you have strong drifts in your data or DC shifts, you will need to
> filter. Otherwise, it will ruin the whole spectrum.
>
> *3.    *I was able to create a STUDY.  I saved separate data sets with
> the electrodes of interest. I was able to run power spectrum channel stats
> as a 3 (conditions) X 2(Left and Right) ANOVA.  I saw the t-tests between
> conditions and the interaction.
> *a.     *Is the power spectrum giving me the average of the specified
> freq range?
>
> Yes
>
> *b.    *If I epoch the data, can I use Bootstrapping instead of
> [...]

Sharon Jalene

www.youregettingverysleepy.com
office: 702-966-3010
mobile: 303-908-8441

*If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid
to pick one of those pieces *
*and begin again.*
*Flavia Weedn*