[Eeglablist] Separating out Alpha from mu oscillations

B L thirstyforknowledge123 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 06:58:48 PDT 2014

Hi,

I guess this topic has been discussed in the past but I cant find an
effective solution.

We know that, it  is very common for the alpha oscillation to have
influence up to almost the frontal electrodes. My question is - If we are
interested only in mu rhythm in a visual-motor task, what is the best way
to tease out the alpha activity from the motor regions so the comparison
across groups is more effective?
Will ICA work better for this(just identifying the alpha component and
removing it)? Is there any other method researchers commonly use for this
purpose?
Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Bala