[Eeglablist] Separating out Alpha from mu oscillations

Chuck Telestel sunshineafterdusk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 11:47:45 PDT 2014

Hi,

One way, not the only way, would be to use current source densities or apply a Hjorth transform to the data. The effect is that more global alpha rhythms won't mask your mu rhythms. Use the electrodes over the motor regions contra-lateral to movement (C3 & C4: 10/20 system).

It also a good idea to have pre-movement data for a baseline correction. You could use time-domain and frequency domain representations. Your mu-desychronisation will be clearly visible in the upper alpha band (approx. 10-12hz). Bear in mind that the alpha band varies across individuals so not everyones upper alpha will neatly fall into this band.

There are a couple of ways, but the above gives decent results. Good luck.

Matthew