[Eeglablist] study file issue when analyzing two IVs

Delorme, Arnaud adelorme at ucsd.edu
Sun Jul 19 12:36:30 PDT 2020

Dear Fran,

The error arises because you have participants for which you have 2 (or more) conditions and 2 (or more) different ICA decompositions. This is not allowed. When you are comparing 2 or more conditions within participants, the ICA decomposition must be the same for all conditions - so ICA must be run on a dataset which contains all the conditions and then you can separate the different conditions.  Even if you cluster ICA components, difference between conditions within participant might arise because of difference in the ICA decompositions - which is not what you want. If you were to see a difference it could be due to:
1- difference between ICA decompositions due to:
	- random initialization of the ICA algorithm
	- different level of noise in the data for each condition
	- different artifacts in the data for each condition
	- poor clustering to find corresponding components across conditions
2- genuine difference between brain source activity in the 2 conditions

By enforcing the same ICA decomposition across conditions, you remove all the potential differences due to 1 above so the data is easier to interpret. In other words, because you use the same spatial filter for both conditions, you can be sure that any difference you observe between conditions is not due to difference in the ICA spatial filter.

Note that when plotting data channels, it is allowed to remove artifacts even if the ICA decomposition is different across conditions within the same subject.

Cheers,

Arno

Ps: with respect to Makoto’s message, I do not think this is the problem, but to figure out where the data might be missing, below is the call to plot the data (for example).

STUDY = std_erpdata(STUDY,ALLEEG,'channels',{‘Cz'}, 'design', 1);

You can add an output to get the plotted data

[STUDY, erpdata] = std_erpdata(STUDY,ALLEEG,'channels',{‘Cz'}, 'design', 1);

If you cannot plot, you can simply read the data and assess where there might be a problem

[STUDY, erpdata] = std_readerp(STUDY,ALLEEG,'channels',{‘Cz'}, 'design', 1);

erpdata =

  2×1 cell array

    {750×3 single}
    {750×3 single}