[Eeglablist] Correlation with N400 mean amplitude values

Ryan Hubbard rjhubba2 at illinois.edu
Sun Apr 21 12:52:08 PDT 2024

The problem with not using any sort of difference is that some individuals
will just have higher amplitude responses, but this variance may just be
due to some more basic physiological differences that are unrelated to the
individual differences you're interested in. So, isolating the "signal" or
"effect" of interest is the argument for using a conditional difference.

Note however that there are some arguments against using the "ERP
difference" approach for measuring individual differences, and instead
using a residualization approach (where one signal predicts the amplitude
of the other in a regression model). That paper is here:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://doi.org/10.1111/psyp.12664__;!!Mih3wA!DVWJU9TRGz2kD3uTJBaBRcbijeC0C5JSSmS9fytN3CcAJflaXkKwAxBsEKm7JIfxqv32677X7PwzoTrylWZLIz0S84U$

On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 8:47 PM Veronica Debora TORO via eeglablist <
eeglablist at sccn.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Thank you very much for your reply! What if I don't want to make the
> difference between two conditions instead? What if I wanted to investigate
> separately the correlation between the mean amplitude of the N400 in
> response to negative (and subsequently positive) stimuli and the EQi test
> score?
>
> Inviato da Outlook per Android<
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg__;!!Mih3wA!BQhySUDHm095hk6uBVBDmesPW1-tus3wOWSdgN2ohfyDRP0yg3Hn7Ic83WK2CNMSOdyEM90haJ5WO2cr1JfNSYGa8DNblhNU4mR4B5ssjg$

Ryan Hubbard