[Eeglablist] Re: timef/crossf 'padratio'

Scott Makeig smakeig at ucsd.edu
Thu Dec 9 12:37:37 PST 2004

In timef() and crossf(), the parameter 'padratio' does what it says. It
pads a tapered data window of length winsize with (padratio-1)*winsize
zeros. Delivered to an FFT, this gieves padratio times as many
frequencies - though without actually increasing the freq resolution, in
the sense that two very nearby frequencies could now be resolved. It
does allow localization of the center of a single frequency peak, and
makes prettier figures...

Scott

PS A 'padratio' of 16 is high - try 4 and 1 to compare.

PPS A more common problem is not knowing how to get low frequencies from
timef(). Using the modified wavelet option ('cycles', [3 0.5]), an
optional argument 'winsize', round(EEG.srate), applied to 3-sec epochs,
will give a low frequency of 3 Hz. This is the default we use.