[Eeglablist] statistics on coherence values

Marco Congedo marco.congedo at irisa.fr
Thu Dec 16 00:30:30 PST 2004

Dear Stephanics,

 anytime you wish to test a series of univariate hypotheses with EEG data,
the optimal solution is the randomization-permutation approach (known as
t-max test).
The advantages are:

1) It corrects for multiple comparisons keeping the family-wise error rate
below the nominal level (the probability to commit even only one false
positive is less than alpha)

2) It adaptively accounts for the correlation structure of the data,
NO MATTER what that is, hence is more powerful than bonferroni and
relative improvements thereof.

3) It does not assume gaussiantity of data (although, strictly speaking,
if the data is not simmetrically distributed a tranformation to improve
simmetricity is advisable).

This is a good paper about the subject:

 Holmes AP, Blair RC, Watson JD, Ford I.
 Nonparametric analysis of statistic images from functional mapping
experiments. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 1996 Jan;16(1):7-22.

For a primer see

  Nichols TE, Holmes AP.
 Nonparametric permutation tests for functional neuroimaging: a primer
with  examples. Hum Brain Mapp. 2002 Jan;15(1):1-25.

As far as implementations, a free software that does this is in the
LORETA-Key Package
http://www.unizh.ch/keyinst/NewLORETA/LORETA01.htm

I will release a stand-alone software soon...but its not ready.
I code in object Pascal, so I do not have Matlab code
(but I would surely share my low-level pascal code).

Livio Finos, at University of Ferrara (Italy) may be interested
in implementing the test in Matlab for EEGlab.
He has already several routines written in matlab.
His e-mail is lfinos at stat.unipd.it

Hope this help

Marco

--