AW: [Eeglablist] statistics on coherence values

Christopher Summerfield summerfd at paradox.psych.columbia.edu
Thu Dec 16 12:06:49 PST 2004

hi Gabor:

In addition to Johannes' excellent paper you might also want to have a
look at a recent approach we have
developed, to be published shortly in Neuroimage.  Summerfield,
C., & Mangels, JM: Coherent theta-band activity predicts item-context
binding during encoding.

Detailed information and relevant code are available at the following site:
www.columbia.edu/~cs2028/beast/beast.htm

briefly, nuisance variables such as volume conduction, low trial counts
(<30) and even just generalised phase-locking can contribute to your
coherence estimates.  one way to reduce the influence of these factors is
to shuffle and permute your electrode-trial structure in the following
way:

pointe estimate
        elec1 elec2
trial   1       1
        2       2
        3       3
        n       n

shuffled
	elec1 elec2
trial	1	3
	2	7
	3	2
	4	n, etc

to gain a distribution of overall coherence which is (reasonably)
independent of these nuisance factors.  The approach we adopt is to
convert both our point estimate coherence estimates and the mean of these
'shuffled' coherence estimates to z-scores, to put them on the same scale,
and subtract.  In simulations we have found that this method is highly
reliable and a good way to eliminate potential confounds.

With regard to direct significance testing on these measures, we adopt an
ICA-base approach to reduce electrode pairings (lots
of them) to spatially correlated components. these components reflect
clusters of electrodes which exhibit similar time-frequency structure to
the coherence across conditions.  You can then bootstrap your estimates
across time-frequency coherence space for each component, correcting only
for the number of components rather than the number of pairings  - a
considerable gain in statistical power.

good luck!
chris

Christopher Summerfield