[Eeglablist] memory problems when reading in 128 channels Biosemi data

Jim Kroger jkroger at nmsu.edu
Tue May 22 10:45:01 PDT 2007

Hello, just to report our experiences, Matlab generally wants all data to
be resident in RAM, and it uses 64 bit precision to represent the data,
regardless that it is recorded in another precision such as 32. Then,
EEGLAB will keep two copies of data, one working copy, and one for safe
keeping, that does not include changes. Also, when loading a .bdf file, the
process of translating from .bdf to .set file (EEGLAB format) can take a
very large amount of memory. So, what may appear to be a small .bdf file
can end up needing vast amounts of RAM. We struggled for months, not even
being able to load a 1 gig data file.

In general, the correct solution is to use a computer with sufficient RAM.
For example, our workstations have either 5.5 gigabytes or 8 gigabytes of
RAM. You have to be running a 64-bit operating system to use more than 4,
and Linux makes better use of RAM than Windows. This generally handles
things. Second, the size of your data will have a big impact, especially
when you are using 128 channels. We used to record for a couple hours, and
sample at 1024/second. This created enormous data sets. We now do our ERP
work at 256 by downsampling our raw data. For ERP approahces this is good
enough. We keep our higher-sampled raw data around in case we want it for
various time-frequency or synchrony analyses later. Second, you can split
the data in several ways, then recombined the data after opening and saving
it as a set file and perhaps doing preprocssing such as filtering and ICA,
which can be impacted by large file sizes (we recently had an ICA on 32
channel data take two weeks). When you epoch data, it makes (potentially)
smaller files. You can only load in part of a .bdf file to work with and
recombind later. You can just work with some of the channels, then work
with others, then recomdine later. Feel free to email if you continue to
have problems.

Jim

At 01:27 AM 5/22/2007, Miriam Gade wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>we recently bought a Biosemi EEG System and are now trying to analyse a
>first oddball experiment  recorded with 128 channels. However, EEGLAB
>continously reports memory failures when we try to read the data in, even
>though the task manager under windows shows 500 MB of free memory. Has
>anybody of you encountered the same problem? Do you know how to circumvent
>it? thanks for any answers and greetings from italy miriam

Jim Kroger
NMSU Psychology MSC 3452
220 Science Hall, Williams Street
Las Cruces,  NM 88003-8001