[Eeglablist] memory problems when reading in 128 channels Biosemi data

Toby Fernsler toby at sccn.ucsd.edu
Tue May 22 15:18:54 PDT 2007

Hi Miriam,
    How large is the file you are loading and how much total memory does
your computer have?  The memory failure sounds odd in the sense that
Matlab is usually good about eating up all available memory, as needed.
On Linux and Mac it makes good use of the disk cache as well, I don't
know remember how it works on Windows.
    One odd issue that Matlab has is memory fragmentation: any Matlab
variable must be loaded in a contiguous block of memory.  So even if you
have 2GB available, you may not be able to load a 1GB file if they're
all in chunks smaller than 1GB.  Matlab fragments its working RAM as it
works, and has no other means of addressing this than by restarting.
Also it may not be able to grab excessively fragmented memory, which can
happen if the computer has been on for awhile.  So, as always, try
rebooting.
Best,
Toby