[Eeglablist] EEGLab, BioSemi ActiveTwo mk2 and event markers

Lloyd Smith lsmith at cortechsolutions.com
Thu Jul 12 15:20:17 PDT 2007

Resending message below due to failure message...

____________

Hi, Bill.  I hope you don't mind that I posted this reply to the EEGLAB
list, too.  I BCC'd you to keep your e-mail private.

This problem is reported to me at least once a week by EEGLAB users - it
is a known issue in EEGLAB that all ActiveTwo/EEGLAB users are grappling
with one-at-a-time.

Triggers in ActiveTwo are stored on the Status channel.  Status is a
24-bit channel with 16 bits for the trigger input port and an additional
8 bits for internal status codes (e.g. battery low/OK, CM out-of/in
range, etc.).  The code 33536 indicates that all bits of the least
significant byte of the status channel are zero, but some bits of the
middle byte of the Status channel are high (i.e. 1000001100000000).  In
most cases, we deliver a simple 8-bit trigger cable for use with
Presentation/E-Prime that shorts the middle byte of the status channel
to zero, so a value of 33536 would not be possible.  If you are using
our standard 8-bit trigger cable, then this value is spurious (generated
by EEGLAB or BIOSIG), and you can ignore it or mask it by applying a
bitmask to the events from the MATLAB command line.

FYI -- see also
http://www.sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2005/001158.html for a
description of the BDF Status channel that explains how the valuable
status data (cm in/out-of range, battery low/OK, etc) are encoded in the
Status channel.  I believe that these useful pieces of information are
still ignored by EEGLAB, but it would be nice if they were properly read
and encoded.

Hope that is helpful.

Lloyd Smith

Owner