[Eeglablist] how can i compute power spectral denisty for EEG bands?

Arnaud Delorme arno at salk.edu
Fri Nov 2 09:53:09 PDT 2007

Dear Nagwa,

> i want to know what are the most used functions in computing the power
> spectral denisty for EEG bands, also need to know how to use it , and
> what are the useful EEG bands that we should compute the power
> spectral density for them?

On continuous data, you may use the EEGLAB spectopo function (menu "Plot
 > Channel spectra and maps") or you may use the pwelch function from
the command line. Spectral EEG bands of interest in humans include delta
0.5-2 Hz, Theta 4-7 Hz, alpha 9-11 Hz, beta 18-21 Hz, gamma 30-60 Hz,
and these days high gamma up to 180 Hz. These numbers are not fixed in
stone and there exist some refinement low alpha/high alpha, low
beta/high beta etc... It might be better to compute power spectral
density at all frequencies (less than 1 Hz resolution) and then decide
what is interesting.