[Eeglablist] [How can I] choice of recording reference

Tae-Ho Lee tothememory at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 17:25:31 PST 2007

Dear Colleagues

Today, I'm preparing a experiment with ERP.
Because I have only a* *few experience with ERP recording, Im confused in
choosing the reference site.
Now, I'm just wondering how differeces are occured according to below
reference choices.

First, ERP/EEG recording with free reference, and then re-reference to
averaged channel activity (using re-reference function in EEGLAB).

Second, ERP/EEG recording with bipolar reference (e.g. Fz-Cz, Cz-Pz ...),
and then re-reference to averaged channel activity.

Third,  ERP/EEG recording with monopolar reference (e.g. A1), and then
re-reference to averaged channel activity.

Since re-reference to averaged activity,Technically, do those recording
methods produces same result ?

Please tell me an empirical advise about this problem.

Sincerely

Lee