[Eeglablist] Permutation test for ERSP?

Tero Hakala thakala at cc.hut.fi
Wed Dec 19 08:34:02 PST 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to study the differences in ERSP images between two groups of
subjects. I have calculated grand average ERSPs (for few channels) for
both groups and need some way to statistically assess the differences
between these two images. A simple test would suffice at this point.

I have understood that a fairly straightforward way to do this might be
a permutation test (or bootstrap random draw?)  where one randomly
assigns subjects to 2 groups, calculates the group averaged ERSP and
their differences, repeat this for many times and end up with a
distribution in each TFR-point. Finally use these distributions to
look for statistically significant points between the ERSP images
of my two groups.

But before I start to code this myself, I thought that I might ask first
if someone has already done it and if such a tool is available
somewhere? At least there's a permutation test in fieldtrip. Is it
possible to use it easily with EEGLAB-generated data (i.e. just the two
dimensional ERSP matrices..) (I have no prior experience with fieldtrip).

There was also some discussion about this kind of test in the
documentation of STUDY structure, but seems that it is not implemented
yet. E.g. there's a reference to a function called std_erspstatplot but
no such thing exists. Is there a plan to implement it in the near
future?

I'd also appreciate any suggestions for other kinds of tests that might
be useful.

kind regards,
  Tero