[Eeglablist] Request for e-letters of support

Scott Makeig smakeig at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 20:51:20 PDT 2009

EEGLABlist members,

of Health, we will very soon (April 20) propose to enhance our ongoing
NINDS-funded research and development project, “EEGLAB: Software for
Analysis of Human Brain Dynamics” (2R01-NS047293-04) by further developing,
continuing to maintain, and freely distributing for non-profit research use
a sophisticated software environment (DataRiver) for recording,
synchronizing, and performing real-time computation on concurrent EEG,
behavioral, sensory, and/or other psychophysiological data, including a
flexible software system for running complex, interactive, multi-modal,
single- or multi-subject experiments. In partiular, the DataRiver
environment will support the use of EEG as the only high-density brain
imaging modality allowing mobile subjects to act, react, and interact in
natural ways within normal 3-D environments. To this end, the DataRiver
environment also allows simultaneous recording of portable high-density EEG
and whole-body motion capture, as well as other behavioral indices (wearable
eye tracking, audiovisual scene recording, etc.), a new experimental
modality for which we propose the term Mobile Brain Imaging (MoBI).  The
DataRiver and its stimulus presentation software environment, already
partially developed by us under other private and public funding, will be
linked directly to our established EEGLAB software environment and our newly
funded archival human electrophysiological data and tools resource (HeadIT)
using the Biomedical Information Resource Network (BIRN) software framework
(1RO1-MH084819-01; Makeig and Grethe, Co-PIs). When linked to the developed
EEGLAB and HeadIT environments, and to EEGLAB plug-in packages now published
by many research groups, the suite of software environments EEGLAB, HeadIT,
and DataRiver will constitute a complete, freely available, and readily
extensible software framework for developing and applying human
electrophysiology as a functional brain imaging modality, thereby expanding
the effects of EEGLAB to speed progress in electrophysiological research by
enabling and encouraging new forms of EEG experimental design, data
collection, and data analysis and meta-analysis.

The above paragraph summarizes a proposal we are preparing on short notice
for additional funding to develop EEGLAB. We ask that any of you inspired to
do so, please send us email messages of support for our proposal c/o *
eeglab at sccn.ucsd.edu*. To be of use, your messages need to be received by
this Saturday, April 16. For strategic reasons, indications of support from
US researchers will be of particular use -- though the proposed software
will be made freely available to all.

We will keep the EEGLABlist apprised of developments concerning the
DataRiver and HeadIT environments.
Thanking you for your interest,

Scott Makeig
Arnaud Delorme

SCCN/INC/UCSD, La Jolla CA
sccn.ucsd.edu/eeglab/

--
Scott Makeig, Research Scientist and Director, Swartz Center for
Computational Neuroscience, Institute for Neural Computation, University of