[Eeglablist] newtimef on continuous data

Gethin gethin.hughes at psy.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 14 10:10:30 PDT 2009

Dear all,

We are using newtimef to run a time-frequency decomposition of our data. As
we are interested in exploring low frequency (delta) activity, the function
automatically removes the first and last 1.7 seconds of data. As an
alternative to changing the parameters of the decomposition to include fewer
cycles (or using very large overlapping epochs), we wanted to run the
analysis on continuous data so that we only need to remove the first few
cycles of each block. I can't seem to run newtimef on continuous data
(perhaps because it cannot calculate ITC?). One potential workaround would
be to pull out blocks of data as epochs (say 100second epochs) and run
newtimef on these "epochs". This would still require some juggling to get
the true trigger values back in but would at least mean running the
decomposition on less overall data (although this seems to reintroduce
memory issues). Given that I can use the complex data output to calculate
the phase coherence myself can anyone suggest a simple workaround to avoid
apparently needlessly analysing epochs that overlap with the previous 2 or 3
trials for every single trial?

Many thanks in advance

Gethin