[Eeglablist] ICA (number of data points) for artifact rejection

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Tue Jun 2 10:27:12 PDT 2009

Dear Eric,

your decomposition might give you noise but maybe not. This question
of the number of data point is actually empirical and depends on the
ICA algorithm you use and the quality of your data. What is sure is
that if you have 256 channel and do not perform dimension reduction,
you will be optimizing an ICA weight matrix of 256 x 256 value/
parameter so you need at least that many data points. We found that
you might actually need much more than that but have not studied
exactly how much (as you mention below, our current rule of thumb is
20 times 256^2). In general, I have observed that the more data points
you have, the more stable ICA components are. Interestingly the most
dipolar components (the most biological ones) also become more stable.
My interpretation is that if you add some more data, ICA will not put
much weight on the transient artifact but rather on what is stable and
reliable throughout the whole data. If the data segment is short, then
transient artifacts might dominate the ICA decomposition.

If you are just interested in artifact removal, you might want to
reduce the dimensionality of the data. I would do 50 in your case for
the sake of speed/efficiency. You do not want to use to little PCA
components because some data will actually be missing when you perform
dimensionality reduction (if you use PCA to reduce from 256 to 50
dimension by taking only the first 50 PCA components). If you were to
look at the actual component and did not have enough data, I would use
PCA 150. If you have enough data (and patience), I would do the full
decomposition.

Of course, other people might come up with different values.
Hope this helps,

Arno