[Eeglablist] re-refeference? /correcting for the polar average reference effect

Joseph Dien jdien07 at mac.com
Sun Jul 5 11:01:41 PDT 2009

Zara,
    It's not clear to me that "an inverse relationship between the
(vertex) reference and all (64) electrodes, getting larger as they get
further away from the original common average reference." necessarily
indicates a PARE problem, although I agree with Tom that it might be a
contributing factor.  Since all electrical activity produces dipolar
fields in which one direction is relatively positive and the opposite
direction is relatively negative, measurements from the two sides of
the dipolar activity will always be negatively correlated.  For
example, if the data contains vertically oriented EEG activity then
one end of the dipoles will be recorded at the vertex and the other
end of the dipole will be recorded at the bottom sites and they will
be negatively correlated. It is the tendency of mastoid referencing to
make vertical voltage fields appear to be unipolar that is
biophysically unrealistic and it is the average reference which is, in
this sort of case, depicting a more realistic pattern of data.  That
said, the electrodes near the vertex reference should be at least
modestly positively correlated with the vertex.  The average reference
essentially divides the electrodes in half (more or less, as the
division is based on the total voltage recorded rather than by
physical electrodes), allocating half to be the one side of the dipole
and the other half the other side of the dipole.  The PARE effect
results in the dividing line to be mislocated (e.g., in the case of
the vertically oriented dipole, closer to the top than it should be).
It should never be the case that ALL the other electrodes (in a high-
density montage) are inversely correlated with the vertex, even with a
PARE problem.  It sounds to me like either the rereferencing procedure
was problematic or the manner in which the electrode correlations was
calculated is problematic.  Also, one point of curiosity - I thought
that the EGI system was the only one that used Cz as the original
reference site.  Is this no longer the case?  Or are you actually
talking about a ground electrode rather than a reference electrode?

Just my two bits.

Cheers!

Joe

Joseph Dien
Assistant Professor of Psychology
Department of Psychology
419 Fraser Hall (by the coke machine)
1415 Jayhawk Blvd
University of Kansas
Lawrence, KS 66045-7556
E-mail: jdien07 at mac.com
Office: 785-864-9822 (note: no voicemail)
Fax: 785-864-5696
http://people.ku.edu/~jdien/Dien.html