[Eeglablist] re-refeference? /correcting for the polar average reference effect

Thomas Ferree tom.ferree at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 11:13:17 PDT 2009

Dear Zara,

The following paper states exactly how to do this, and demonstratesnumerically
the advantages of this way of estimating average reference.
Furthermore, in my own studies I have seen that it improves the
accuracy of topographic maps, which was your original question.

There is not a new channel per se, so your question on that point need
not be addressed.

I have Matlab code for doing this that I might be willing to share. It is
set up to work with EEGLAB data structures, but I have not gotten around
to making a plug-in for it.  Please contact me in person about that.

Best regards,
Tom.

Spherical splines and average referencing in scalp
electroencephalography.<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17019635?ordinalpos=4&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum>

Ferree TC.

Brain Topogr. 2006 Winter;19(1-2):43-52.

Thomas Ferree, PhD
Department of Radiology
UT Southwestern Medical Center
Email: tom.ferree at gmail.com