[Eeglablist] re-refeference? /correcting for the polar average reference effect

Zara Bergström zara.bergstroem at med.ovgu.de
Thu Jul 2 06:05:41 PDT 2009

Hi Andrew and list members,

what you are describing sounds like a bias in the average reference
transform known as the polar average reference effect (PARE, Junghöfer
et al.,1999, see abstract below). Junghöfer et al recommend a particular
method for correcting this bias, described in their paper. I also have a
very large PARE in 64 channel data, and would like to use their method
for correcting it, but I'm a little bit confused about how to implement
that correction in practice.
So, I was hoping that someone on this list might be able to please
explain it?

In their paper, Junghöfer et al. describe how one can correct for the
PARE by using the scalp electrodes to estimate the potential on the
surface not covered by electrodes using a spherical spline
interpolation, and then computing the average reference for the entire
surface using the results from the interpolation.

How exactly can I implement this in practice? I'm guessing that it would
involve creating a new "channel" representing the non-sampled area, and
then including that channel in the average reference (so, PARE-corrected
average reference = average of (all scalp channels + interpolated new
channel)). But how can I compute an interpolated channel without
inputting the coordinates of the channel to be computed? And how do I
update the EEGLAB data structure to take into account this new channel
when re-referencing? Will the re-referencing work without channel
coordinates for the new channel?

Or even better, does anyone know of an already existing EEGLAB function
or plugin (or a MATLAB script) that implements a PARE correction when
re-referencing to an average reference?

Any comments will be much appreciated!

Thank you very much in advance,

Zara

Abstract from Junghöfer et al., The polar average reference effect: a
bias in estimating the head surface integral in EEG recording. Clin
Neurophysiol. 1999 110(6):1149-55

"A reference-independent measure of potential is helpful for studying
the multichannel EEG. The potentials integrated over the surface of
the body is a constant, i.e. inactive across time, regardless of the
activity and distribution of brain electric sources. Therefore, the average
reference, the mean of all recording channels at each time point, may be
used to approximate an inactive reference. However, this
approximation is valid only with accurate spatial sampling of the scalp
fields. Accurate sampling requires a sufficient electrode density
and full coverage of the head's surface. If electrodes are concentrated
in one region of the surface, such as just on the scalp, then the average is
biased toward that region. Differences from the average will then be
smaller in the center of the region, e.g. the vertex, than at the periphery.
In this paper, we illustrate how this polar average reference effect
(PARE) may be created by both the inadequate density and the uneven
distribution of EEG electrodes. The greater the coverage of the surface
of the volume conductor, the more the average reference approaches
the ideal inactive reference."

[Eeglablist] re-refeference?
Andrew Hill andrewhill at ucla.edu
Tue Jun 16 19:01:59 PDT 2009