[Eeglablist] changes in spectopo?

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Sun Aug 9 21:37:15 PDT 2009

Dear Wambua,

you should most likely use the pwelch method (implemented in the
EEGLAB spectopo function). It is a windowed FFT (several FFT averaged).
The Thomson method (usually known as multitaper) is good too. It is
first projecting the data onto an orthogonal base, then performing FFT.

They should all return similar results (FFT, pwelch, multitaper). I
guess the Thomson method is the less sensitive to noise but also the
most complex to use. I guess it would also be possible to use the
welch method on top of multitaper. It is all a matter of preference. I
would advised using the pwelch method which is easy (you just give as
an option the length of the windows and the overlap). Multitaper would
require you to select the number of basis vector in your othogonal
base and this is much less intuitive (and also has consequences on the
frequency resolution you can achive).

Hope this helps,

Arno