[Eeglablist] Out of memory problem - setting EEG variable to global?

Jakob Scherer jakob.scherer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 04:47:16 PDT 2009

Dear eeglab users and developers,
i have been using eeglab for some time now and i really appreciate the
big effort which is put into it's development.
recently we have bigger files (800-1000MB) to work with in our lab.
Currently our workstations are equipped with windows vista 64bit,
matlab 7.8.0 (64bit), eeglab 7.1.4.15b and 4GB of ram (eeglab memory
memory-mapping disabled).
I am no expert on how memory is handled exactly in eeglab, but as i
comprehend it, whenever an eeglab function is called, the data (i.e.
the EEG-structure) is doubled. now we were having some discussions in
our lab and thought, what about setting the EEG-structure to global
and not submitting it as an argument to the functions anymore. would
this alleviate the situation? or am i getting something completely
wrong?

any help and alternative suggestions are greatly appreciated,
many thanks in advance

jakob