[Eeglablist] warnings

Joseph Dien jdien07 at mac.com
Wed Sep 23 18:55:27 PDT 2009

This is just a problem with the Biosig package that's included in the
Fieldtrip package that is included with EEGlab.  Biosig took the
unfortunate approach of replacing some of Matlab's built-in functions
with customized versions (apparently they wanted to change how they
handle NaN).  Not really a problem since they're in a "private" folder
and hence don't affect functions outside of Biosig but they still trip
off Matlab warnings.  FieldTrip just announced they're dropping the
Biosig package due to concerns about the warning messages so it no
longer includes the Biosig package.  If you download the latest
version of FieldTrip (http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/) and replace the
version that came with EEGlab (in it's "external folder") it
eliminates the warnings (and give you the latest bugfixes and
features).  You would need to redo the path since the FieldTrip folder
would have a new name.  Of course, dropping Biosig also means losing
its support for .edf format files and so forth.  It would probably be
a good idea for EEGlab to update its copy of FieldTrip too to avoid
eliciting these concerns.

Cheers!

Joe

On Sep 23, 2009, at 4:46 PM, Arnaud Delorme wrote:

> These warnings are from BIOSIG and Fieldtrip so there is
> unfortunately little we can do about them.
> They occur depending on the Matlab configuration (they do not occur
> 99% of the time) but we have not figured out yet what configuration
> cause them to appear.
> I invite you to contact the BIOSIG and Fieldtrip developers as these
> are relatively easy fixes.
> Thanks,
>
> Arno
>
> On Sep 22, 2009, at 10:14 PM, Piotr Jaskowski wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>                After running the current version of EEGlab I’ve got
>> a lot of warnings like:
>>
>> Warning: Function C:\Program Files\EEGlab\external
>> \fieldtrip-20090727\external\biosig\private\set.m has the same name
>> as a MATLAB builtin. We suggest you rename the function to avoid a
>> potential name conflict.
>>
>> Or
>>
>> Warning: In the directory "C:\Program Files\EEGlab\external
>> \fileio-20090511\@uint64", plus.mexw32 now shadows plus.dll.
>>
>> Did I do something wrong during installation? I have MatLab
>> 7.1.0.246(R14) service pach 3.
>>
>> Best, Piotr Jaskowski

Joseph Dien,
Senior Research Scientist