[Eeglablist] Re [eeglablist] online EOG removal (Michael Simon)

Alois Schlögl alois.schloegl at tugraz.at
Wed Sep 30 23:57:18 PDT 2009

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 09:07:35 +0200
> From: Michael Simon <micha.m.simon at googlemail.com>
> Subject: [Eeglablist] online EOG removal
> To: eeglablist at sccn.ucsd.edu
>
> Hello eeglablist,
>
> we are currently working on a monitoring system, that extracts features from
> the EEG in real time. Unfortunately ocular artifacts contaminate these
> features. So it would be desirable to eliminate these artifacts in real
> time. We are recording EOG channels (vertical and horizontal).
> Does anybody know methods that perform EOG removal in real time? It would be
> best if no baseline recording is required and the removal would be in an
> automated manner.
>
> Regards
>
> Michael

Hello Michael,

we have validated a fully automated method [1]. The method can be easily
applied for real-time EOG "removal". The results shows that only up to
80% of EOG artifacts are removed, so it is more a reduction method than
a removal method. However, it is reasonable to assume that no other
automated method is doing better [2].

Baseline recordings are useful to get most accurate estimates for the
correction coefficients, without baseline the correction is most likely
worse.

Best,
   Alois

[1] A. Schlögl, C. Keinrath, D. Zimmermann, R. Scherer, R. Leeb, G.
Pfurtscheller. A fully automated correction method of EOG artifacts in
EEG recordings. Clin.Neurophys. 2007 Jan;118(1):98-104. Epub 2006 Nov 7

[2] A. Schlögl, A. Ziehe, K.-R. Müller (2009)
Automated ocular artifact removal: comparing regression and
component-based methods.
Preprint available at http://precedings.nature.com/documents/3446/version/1