[Eeglablist] Compatability and artifact identification issues

Klados Manousos mklados at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 10:37:47 PDT 2009

Dear Jordan

Automatic Artifact Rejection (AAR) Plugin for EEGLAB is availiable in the
EEGLAB's site. As i quickly see in the paper mentioned above they use LMS
algorithm for the implementation of the adaptive filters. AAR includes LMS
algorithm so you can use it (or mode it as you like...for the cascading).
Except LMS AAR includes another 4 (i thing) regression-based algorithms for
artifact rejection. According to my analysis and my opinion (which is going
to be published soon) among the regression techinques Schlogl's algorithm
(Schlogl,2007) seem to have better performance. This aglorithm doesn't
included in the AAR but it is very easy in it implementation. I have to
mention that Schlogl algorithm uses one step for the computation of
propagation coefficients and not an iterative procedure as adatpive filters.
If you still want to use an adaptive filter included in the AAR i propose
you to use LMS. Comparison's results (Klados,2008) suggest that LMS performs
well in EEG data.

   - Schlogl, C. Keinrath, D. Zimmermann, R. Scherer, R. Leeb, G.
   Pfurtscheller, “A fully automated correction method of EOG artifacts in EEG
   recordings” , Clinical Neurophysiology 118 (2007) 98–104.
   - Ghirnikar, A.   Alexander, S.T. Stable recursive least squares
   filtering using an inverse QR decomposition. IEEE International Conference
   on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing 1990 ICASSP-90, 1990; 3 :
   1623-1626
   - M.A.Klados, C. Papadelis, C.D. Lithari and P.D. Bamidis. The Removal Of
   Ocular Artifacts From EEG Signals: A Comparison of Performances For
   Different Methods, J. Vander Sloten, P. Verdonck, M. Nyssen, J. Haueisen
   (Eds.): ECIFMBE 2008, IFMBE Proceedings 22, pp. 1259–1263, 2008

2009/10/8 Power elf, Jordan <J.PowerElf2 at nuigalway.ie>

>  Compatibility and artifact attenuation issues
>
> Dear EEGLAB members,
>
> I am currently conducting an electroencephalography experiment with the
> neuroscience division of the National University of Ireland Galway. During
> the experimental design phase I encountered much discussion about the
> algorithms used to attenuate artifact interference in the EEG signal. Many
> papers seem to agree that the only means of accounting for ECG and EOG
> artifacts is to record these signals simultaneously on a different channel.
> Once the data is collected it can then be processed using filtering methods.
> These papers (such as "Artifact removal from EEG signals using adaptive
> filters in cascade") include many advanced algorithms to account for these
> artifacts once all the data has been recorded. Unfortunately the sheer scale
> of my experiment makes the manual processing of my data a prohibitive
> prospect. I was wondering if EEGlab included a facility that applied these
> adaptive filter algorithms automatically when presented with the raw eeg
> data and the EKG and EOG artifacts. I would also like to know if eeglab is
> compatible with labchart, the program i am using to record my data.
>

> Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated,
> Jordan

Klados A. Manousos
Graduate Student, Research Assistant
Group of Applied Neurosciences
Lab of Medical Informatics, Medical School
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki, Greece